81-Year-Old Russian Woman ‘Returns from the Dead’ after Spending a Night in the Morgue

A pensioner gave a hospital worker ‘the shock of her life’ when she came back from the dead after spending the night in a Russian morgue.

Zinaida Kononova, 81, was pronounced dead after surgery to remove an intestinal obstruction at the Gorshechensky Central District Hospital on August 14.

She was taken to the morgue at 1.10am, but almost seven hours later at 8am a female worker ‘got the shock of her life’ when she found the grandmother sprawled across the floor.

The woman had fallen as she attempted to climb off the morgue table and escape.

An ambulance driver overheard the commotion as he entered the building.

He told how the “frightened” morgue worker was saying: “Grandma, lie down, granny, be quiet.”

The paramedic thought the morgue employee had gone “crazy” – talking to the dead.

But then he saw how the pensioner grabbed the woman’s hand pleading for help.

Zinaida was covered in blankets and rushed to intensive care.

The hospital called her niece Tatiana and a senior doctor told her: “We have an unusual situation. She is alive!”

Tatiana rushed to the hospital as a team of medics from regional capital Kursk were sent to treat Zinaida. Tatiana was delighted her aunt was alive, but asked the doctors: “How could this happen?”

She was told Zinaida had been registered as clinically dead for 15 minutes — and was “literally pulled back from the other world”.


“She initially did not recognise me or recall that she had a surgery,” Tatiana said. “But she talked about her old knee problem.”


Later she came to her senses.


A doctor and anaesthetist later confessed to the family that they had sent Zinaida to the morgue one hour and 20 minutes after she died, instead of two hours as rules dictate.


Acting hospital head Alexander Vlasov said: “For 30 minutes the patient underwent resuscitation measures” but didn’t respond.


The elderly pensioner who came back to life has been transferred to Kursk for further treatment.


Roman Kondratenko, chief doctor of Gorshechensky central district hospital, has been suspended pending an investigation. Relatives are planning to sue the hospital, according to reports.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: