Argentina police open investigation into possible negligence in the death of Maradona

Diego Maradona’s death will be investigated by Argentinian police to decide whether it was a case of medical negligence, judicial sources have revealed.

Recordings from neighbourhood security cameras have been requested by three prosecutors working on the case.

Maradona died of ‘acute lung edema and chronic heart failure’, according to a preliminary autopsy report, in his sleep at noon while resting at his home in Tigre, Buenos Aires, Argentina, on Wednesday.

A family member, who asked to remain anonymous, told the AFP news agency Friday that relatives felt there were “irregularities” in the iconic footballer’s passing.

On Thursday, Maradona’s lawyer and friend, Matías Morla, complained “that the ambulance took more than half an hour to get to the house where El Diez was,” using the nickname for the late footballer.

However, at print time, neither he nor any family member has presented themselves as a plaintiff in the case, a judicial source confirmed.

“The case was initiated because it is a person who died at home and no-one signed the death certificate. It does not mean that there are suspicions of irregularities, that is what is being investigated,” said the source who requested anonymity.

“The nurse made a statement when the prosecutor appeared on the day of Diego’s death, then expanded her statement and finally went on television to say that what she said was forced on her, so there is some contradiction in her statement.”

The prosecutor’s office is awaiting the results of toxicological tests on Maradona’s body.

The three prosecutors working on the case have requested the star’s medical records, as well as recordings from neighborhood security cameras.

Another nurse caring for Maradona was likely the last person to see the star alive, at dawn on Wednesday, prosecutors said in a statement on Friday.


“From his words, it could be established that he was the last person to see (Maradona) alive at approximately 6:30 in the morning,” as the night shift at the star’s house was ending, the statement said.

The nurse, interviewed by prosecutors on Thursday, referred to having found Maradona “resting in his bed, assuring that he was sleeping and breathing normally”.

Maradona’s nephew Johnny Herrera was previously believed to have been the last person to see Maradona, at 11.30pm on Tuesday, He also revealed that his last word were: “I don’t feel well.”


Prosecutors said the nurse present in his house at the time of death told them that she had heard Maradona “moving around inside the room” at 7.30am.


They said that at 12.17pm, Maradona’s personal secretary “requested medical assistance, and an ambulance… was present at 12.28pm, according to film records from the San Andres neighborhood obtained by the prosecutor’s office”.


Several ambulances from other medical service providers arrived later.


Investigators have also established that Maradona’s personal doctor, Leopoldo Luque, had already made an emergency call at 12.16 pm, requesting an ambulance.


The former Barcelona and Napoli star died of a heart attack aged 60 on Wednesday, November 25, just two weeks after being discharged from hospital for a bleed on his brain.

The Argentina icon and 1986 World Cup winner was buried at the Jardin Bella Vista cemetery, in Buenos Aires province, where his parents were also buried. The private ceremony which held on Thursday was attended by family and close friends.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: