More than 100 people who attended a wedding in India tested positive for coronavirus and the groom reportedly died two days after he was married.
The groom was believed to be a super spreader and infected the other guests at the event that was attended by nearly 400 people.
The man, a 30-year-old software engineer, developed a high fever and diarrhoea before his wedding on June 15.
Despite asking for it to be postponed, local media reports claims the family made him take painkillers to get through the day.
Just two days later his condition began to worsen and he died on the way to hospital.
The Hindustan Times reports his body was quickly cremated before tests could be carried out, but a source alerted local magistrates to a potential problem brewing.
Later 15 family members tested positive, with the event triggering on of the biggest outbreaks in the country – with around 100 guests infected.
In a desperate attempt to prevent the spread of the disease, a camp was set up where samples were taken from the other attendees. Of those, 86 have tested positive, officials said Tuesday.
The bride was not among those who tested positive for the virus.
Another relative, who tested negative, said no one suspected that the groom had COVID-19.
“As rural areas are almost COVID-free, we were relaxed,” the relative told the news outlet.
By the day of the wedding, he was running a high temperature, raising some concerns among his relatives, who “prayed that it was not COVID infection,” the relative said.
“He performed all the pre-wedding functions after taking Paracetamol,” he added, referring to the brand name for over-the-counter acetaminophen.
Community official Chiranjeev Pandey said: “Our first priority now is to prevent the infection and break the chain. We have sealed parts of the neighboring Meetha Kuan, Khagari and some parts of the sub-urban marketplace of Paliganj.”