Michael Pruitt was working outside when he was electrocuted, resulting in the untimely death of the young man in suburban Detroit. But after 20 minutes, doctors had him back on this side of reality.
Michael Pruitt, 20, was helping his stepdad at a job site in Livonia when the ladder he was carrying touched a live electrical wire, killing him, according to a post from Beaumont Hospital.
“I remember being electrocuted while holding that ladder and shaking, and then nothing,” Pruitt told Beaumont.
Within 4 minutes of calling 911, emergency services took over CPR from the homeowner at the job site and gave Pruitt a defibrillator.
For 20 minutes, Pruitt had no vital signs.
When he arrived at Beaumont Hospital, Dr. Angel Chandler and her team shocked Pruitt with a defibrillator, with no response. Two minutes after delivering a second shock, Pruitt’s heart started to beat again.
Yasmeen Bachir, a registered clinical nurse at the hospital, told Beaumont Pruitt was “like the Hulk” when he was revived. She said he was “grabbing the railings and shaking the bed with huge strength.
Pruitt’s toes were burned from the inside, because the electricity exited his body there when he was shocked. With his feet bandaged so they can heal, Barbara Smith, registered nurse and director of trauma services at the hospital, called his resurrection “miraculous” as he did not lose brain function.
“In less than five minutes, brain cells start to die from lack of oxygen,” Smith told Beaumont.