A total of 11 people were injured early Sunday morning following a shooting that took place near New Orleans’ French Quarter.
According to the New Orleans Police Department, officers began hearing reports of gunfire around 3:21 a.m. local time.
“Upon arrival to the scene, officers discovered multiple individuals had been struck by gunfire,” police said in a statement, adding that no officers were wounded.
“Ten of the 11 total victims, two of which were reported to be in critical condition, were transported to local medical facilities for treatment,” police said, adding that “one victim was a walk-in at a local hospital.”
The victim’s identities, ages and genders have not been released, but officials said no officers were injured.
Motive for the shooting is also unknown.
“An individual was detained near the scene,” police said, noting that the individual, whom they did not identify, had not been charged, nor had it been determined whether they had any involvement with the shooting.
In a statement on Sunday, New Orleans police superintendent Shaun Ferguson said the incident was a “cowardly and senseless act that we cannot and will not tolerate”.
“To the victims – you are in our thoughts and prayers, and we will work tirelesssly to bring those behind this cowardly act to justice. That is a promise,” Ferguson added.
Ferguson said police quickly responded to the scene as patrols were heightened for this weekend’s Bayou Classic, the annual Thanksgiving weekend rivalry football game between Grambling State and Southern University that’s played at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
The mass shooting marks the second such incident to occur over the Bayou Classic weekend in recent years. In 2016 nine people were injured and one person killed in a shooting in the French Quarter sparked by a personal dispute.