Trump says TikTok sale can go through but only if the US gets a cut

The US president announced last week that Tiktok will be banned from the United States after lawmakers and intelligence agencies expressed concerns that the Chinese government could use the app to spy on Americans.

After Microsoft announced it was considering buying the app, Trump on Monday August 3, said any potential sale must benefit the US Treasury.

Trump on Monday set September 15 as the deadline for TikTok to find a US buyer, failing which he said he will shut down the app in the country. In an unusual declaration, Trump also said any deal would have to include a “substantial amount of money” coming to the US Treasury.
“Right now they don’t have any rights unless we give it to them. So if we’re going to give them the rights, then … it has to come into this country,” Trump said. “It’s a great asset, but it’s not a great asset in the United States unless they have approval in the United States.”

TikTok, in defence says they will become an extinct company and that it remains committed to its large American user base.

“TikTok is loved by 100 million Americans because it is a home for entertainment, self-

expression, and connection,” company spokesperson Josh Gartner said in a statement.
“TikTok will be here for many years to come.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: