Application Deadline:25 October, 2019 at 11:59 PM (CEST)
Applications are open for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Accelerator 2019. The WFP Innovation Accelerator identifies, supports and scales high-potential solutions to hunger worldwide. They provide WFP entrepreneurs, start-ups, companies and NGOs access to mentorship, training, financial support, expert insights and WFP operations. The Innovation Accelerator is part of WFP’s Innovation and Change Management Division.
- Innovation Bootcamp: Selected teams are invited to participate in a Bootcamp in Munich, Germany, where they deep dive field-level challenges, ideate solutions and refine project plans. WFP introduces participants to cutting-edge innovation techniques, such as human-centred design and lean start-up, to create viable business models and use cases for WFP and its beneficiaries.
- Pitch Night: The week-long Bootcamp culminates with Pitch Night – an opportunity for teams to share their solutions with an audience of investors and industry leaders who can help them bring to scale.
- Sprint Programme: The best teams are selected to participate in a three-to-six-month Sprint Programme, where they receive up to USD 100,000 in funding, field access, and hands-on support so that they can test the solution’s impact and scalability for WFP. To support implementation, the Accelerator helps teams connect with a global network of mentors, including private sector and non-profit experts, donors and WFP Country Offices.
Hands – On Support
You’ll have the chance to work with technical and industry mentors who will provide guidance and accelerate your progress.
Teams will be able to tap into and leverage our strong network of public, private, and government partners to accelerate implementation
If you are a start up
- Your start-up must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof-of-concept and initial traction is preferred.
- Your solution should be financially viable.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
Applications submitted to the WFP Innovation Accelerator are assessed according to a standard set of criteria, and are reviewed by both WFP and external experts. Please note that we prioritize projects that are designed alongside our core users—vulnerable communities—and that show initial traction and market validation to ensure impact and maximize cost effectiveness.
They are looking for innovations that meet the following expectations:
- Impact for the people we serve and potential to reach Zero Hunger
- Feasibility, including time to deliver impact, technology maturity, and user traction
- Level of innovation
- Financial sustainability with a clear business case that does not rely on WFP funding
- Team strength, experience, and commitment
FOR MORE INFORMATION